Thursday, May 9, 2013

On The Nightstand: Two Kisses for Maddy by Matthew Logelin



Matt and Liz Logelin were high school sweethearts. After years of long-distance dating, the pair finally settled together in Los Angeles, and they had it all: a perfect marriage, a gorgeous new home, and a baby girl on the way. Liz's pregnancy was rocky, but they welcomed Madeline, beautiful and healthy, into the world on March 24, 2008. 


Just twenty-seven hours later, Liz suffered a pulmonary embolism and died instantly, without ever holding the daughter whose arrival she had so eagerly awaited. Though confronted with devastating grief and the responsibilities of a new and single father, Matt did not surrender to devastation; he chose to keep moving forward-- to make a life for Maddy.


In this memoir, Matt shares bittersweet and often humorous anecdotes of his courtship and marriage to Liz; of relying on his newborn daughter for the support that she unknowingly provided; and of the extraordinary online community of strangers who have become his friends. In honoring Liz's legacy, heartache has become solace ---GoodReads


I loved this book, but it also terrified me. I think the fact that this could happen to anyone really got to me, and definitely made me appreciate my life a whole lot more. I think Matt did a great job describing his feelings and painting a picture of what his relationship was like with Liz, how much he loved his daughter, and how he dealt with the death of his wife. 

Although the story was a difficult one to read, I couldn't put it down. There were times I couldn't help but cry, and times that I had a smile on my face. An emotional rollercoaster for sure, but definitely worth the read. 

Read any good books lately? Let me know in the comments section, I love getting book suggestions!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds heartbreaking . . but I really want to read this now.

    I recently enjoyed The Boyfriend List by Lockhart. It's the story of 15-year-old Roo, and details all the "boyfriends" she's ever had (the term boyfriend is used very loosely).

    ReplyDelete