Thursday, March 3, 2016

Wood Pallet Wall Plaque



After posting my Valentine's Vignette, I had quite a few questions about this new addition to my living room. Apparently, I can't slip anything past you guys. No really though, I'm glad you noticed it and liked it enough to ask about it, because it's one of my new favorite parts of the living room!

Adam always comes home with more pallets. I'm not really sure where they come from, but we've got quite the collection of them in our basement, and I love the look of a good pallet wall. I have allowed a pallet wall to consume my thoughts for so long, but I just don't seem to have anywhere to put one in our home. 

Instead of a entire pallet wall, I decided a small "pallet wall" would look great over our buffet. I've never really loved anything that I've put above the buffet, and always just seemed to be putting things there to fill the empty space... until this pallet wall plaque! 

Adam built this for me because he made the mistake of mentioning he was "itching for a project" so unfortunately I can't take the credit. But I can tell you how he made it! 

He started with pulling apart the pallets and arranging them in an aesthetically pleasing way. He then had me approve his design before building a frame on the back. 


Here is the frame he put in the back. All of the pallets have been individually glued onto the frame with wood glue. As you can tell, the frame isn't centered from top to bottom. This was purposeful, so the plaque could hang on the wall by the frame, but the bottom still had as much support as possible.

We decided to leave all the nails in the wood to create an even more rustic look, so some of the nails needed the backs cut so they didn't hit the wall. 
He stained it with Minwax's Wood Finish in Provincial. 




For one final touch, he added a nail in the top center of the plaque so I could hang my wreaths.






I would love to find an incredibly inexpensive boxwood wreath to hang here this spring/summer, but so far I haven't had much luck. So for now, the burlap wreath is a great replacement. 

Come back next week to see my Spring Vignette for this space!




projects in this post:

7 comments:

  1. I love this! I've been contemplating doing a pallet wall in the nursery but I'm just not sure I'm brave enough. This is a perfect solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you say that because I'm too chicken to do a full pallet wall, too. I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  2. I love this! And I love it with the burlap wreath!

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It's so different and so pretty! I love that you could change it up anytime. Something I always dislike about wall decor is I get bored with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!! It's so cute! And I love the way the wreath looks hanging on it...and you can change it out with the seasons/holidays--love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! It's so cute! And I love the way the wreath looks hanging on it...and you can change it out with the seasons/holidays--love it!
    linen pillows decorative throw pillows
    solid pillow cases standard size
    farmhouse pillow covers 20 x 20
    decorative pillow cases

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this amazing post. I liked your all designs of house name plaques.

    ReplyDelete