Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Tomato, Basil & Parmesan Soup



The cooler weather we had yesterday had me craving some delicious tomato soup! On our way home from camping, we stopped at the grocery store for all the ingredients, threw everything into the crock pot, and waited for dinner time. I decided to share this recipe with you today since fall is right around the corner. If you are anything like me, you probably haven't eaten many warm foods lately. I don't dare turn on the stove, oven, or crock pot during the days of extreme heat. I was so excited for a cool day to make something warm that I haven't had in a while. This tomato soup is seriously the best tomato soup I have ever had. Try it once, and I guarantee you won't be sorry!

INGREDIENTS:
2 cans (14 oz each) diced tomatoes with the juice
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced onions
1 tsp dried oregano
1Tbsp dried basil
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper



DIRECTIONS:
1. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, carrots, celery, onions, oregano, and basil into a large crock pot.

2. Cover and cook on LOW for approximately 6 hours to allow flavors to blend and vegetables to soften.

3. 30 minutes prior to serving, melt butter and add in flour. Stir constantly for about 5 minutes. Add to soup mixture. 

4. Stir and add in Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt, and pepper.

5. Cover and cook on LOW for 30 minutes, or until you are ready to serve.



This soup is so good, even my husband will eat it (he is more of a meat and potatoes kind of guy)! 
Also, this soup is great for dipping grilled cheese!


14 comments:

  1. I was thinking the same thing - perfect to dip grilled cheese in, yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long should i cook it if its on the stove? I dont have a cock pot :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure because I've only ever made it in the crock pot. Maybe try googlin crockpot versus stove time conversions or something? Wish I could be more help!

      Delete
    2. I added a few gnocci to the soup and it's delicious with or without. KF

      Delete
    3. You won't regret going out and buying a crock pot. . .you can find them on sale very inexpensively. It's a great time saver and the flavors blend beautifully!!!

      Delete
  3. Did you use grated or shredded parmesan? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used grated, but I'm sure either would be fine!

      Delete
  4. Would this freeze well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried freezing this soup yet, we love it so much it never lasts long around this house. I have froze many other soups well and they have been fine, so I'm sure they same goes for this soup.

      Delete
  5. You used the dry cheese in canister, vs fresh in package refrigerated, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you add anything for protein (besides meat) to this? Maybe chickpeas or beans?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this for dinner tonight, and it was excellent! It got rave reviews from everyone at the table. I think next time I'll serve it with grilled cheese sandwiches :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family loves this soup. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete